Friday 2 November 2012

Clandestine Cake Club

I finally got my email last Friday telling me the venue of the Clandestine Cake Club (its all very secret!), so I started baking for that cake on Saturday.  The theme was Trick O' Treat so I decided to do a spiced pumpkin & walnut  (or butternut squash in this case) cake with an orange cream cheese frosting.

I've made this cake before and its gone down well (the recipe is on the Good Food website) so I felt quite confident about making it.  I added extra spices to the original recipe and I decided to add walnuts to it to give a bit of variation.  If you like carrot cake, you will love this one it has a very similar texture and taste to it.

I spooked it up a bit with the addition of a glitter bat and some fondant pumpkins and scatted some bats and ghosts around the cake.

The CCC was great.  It was lovely to meet so many other bakers who are so enthusiastic about cake.  There was no air of competition with anyone's cake and everyone took a genuine interest in what other people had baked.  I took along Mrs S as a guest and we had a fabulous afternoon drinking tea & coffee and eating LOTS of cake.....best thing was, everything was divided up at the end and you took home what was left, how fab is that?!!  Mrs S was very impressed, so much so that she might even dust off a pinny and bake next time as well when we meet up again in December

 Spiced Pumpkin & Walnut Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

 Graveyard cake complete with lit up pumpkins!

 Soggy Moggy ginger cake



 Selection of the cakes made - there were 10 or 11 all in all

Complimentary Jasmine and Very Berry teas courtesy of the venue

All in all it was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a rainy Sunday afternoon.  Can't wait for the next one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment