Thursday 16 February 2012

Melting Moments & Valentine Hearts

For Mrs Shorts get-together I also whipped up a batch of Melting Moment biscuits.  I had seen the recipe on the Hairy Bikers programme the other week and quickly jotted down the very easy recipe:

250g Plain flour
250g butter
50g corn flour
50g icing sugar
1/2 tsp good vanilla extract

Blend everything in a mixer until it reaches a dough-like consistency.  I then placed in the fridge for 15 mins to chill so the mixture was easier to handle.  I drew circles on some baking parchment (evenly spaced I got 16 on) and then rolled in my hands small pieces of the dough to form balls.  I then placed on the baking sheet and pressed down to fill the circle.  It makes it easier to sandwich the biscuits together if they are roughly the same size.

Bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes at 180°C until they are a pale golden colour.  Once out of the oven leave for a few minutes on the tray and then with a palette knife transfer onto a cooling rack good side faced down (easier to fill as you are then not handling the biscuits too much as they are crumbly!).

Once cooled I spread some seedless raspberry jam on one biscuit and piped a small splodge of the lemon buttercream I had left over from Mrs Short's cupcakes onto another biscuit and sandwiched them together and then dusted with icing sugar.

This mixture made 30 individual biscuits or 15 sandwiched together ones.



They proved to be a popular hit!  The biscuit was nice and crumbly in texture but still had a bite to it and the lemon buttercream offset the raspberry jam very well.  Maximum results for minimum effort - marvellous!!

They were so nice I decided to do some in honour of Valentines Day and used a heart cutter to cut out the dough (note, roll the mixture out in small batches on a well floured surface or it will stick like hell!).  My niece was having a sleep-over with her friends so I made them some for their 'midnight snack'.  I sandwiched these together with a chocolate buttercream with a bit of nutty chocolate spread mixed in......mmmmmm!!  Chief Taster also got some along with a bag of Snickerdoodles which kept her happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment