Thursday 16 February 2012

Mrs Short's Birthday Baking Bonanza!!

It was Mrs Short's birthday last week and as I had the house to myself on Saturday as OH was enjoying himself watching his team beat Chelsea I decided it was going to be a Baking Bonanza Saturday!

First on the agenda was a ginger cake for Mrs S as her little bump (or 'sprout' as it has been named!) is currently making her feel slightly sick and ginger is renowned for getting rid of queasy feelings.  A lovely loaf cake was produced with instructions to just have a slice in the morning with a cup of tea.....not sure whether she stuck to the one slice a day rule, I think a few at a time may have been consumed!  I didn't take any pictures of the cake as well a ginger cake is not very interesting to look at really!!  But I will post the recipe later.  Ginger cake is one of those lovely cakes that just gets better and better the longer you leave it (if you can manage to leave it alone).  The flavour mellows and the top goes all sticky and you are left with a perfect piece of cake to have with a cup of tea, or simply smothered in lots of vanilla custard (Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Madagascan Vanilla Custard is just the perfect partner!)

In honour of her birthday (and the fact that she was having a get-together) I made a few lemon cupcakes with a lemon buttercream icing.






I also made some Melting Moment biscuits which I will talk about in the next post for the get-together......they proved to be popular....very popular indeed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment